Friday, August 13, 2010

An American Woman in Britain

With multiple goals and many meetings and visits, I headed for London last Sunday. I know many of you probably travel first class all the time – not me.  Always looking to be cost conscious for my clients, coach is where I fly.  Not this time!   Using mileage, American put me in “seat” 4J.  More like “bed” 4J. From the warm nuts (my favorite) to the champagne, real plates and flatware, I had a fantastic flight. And, to beat a dead horse…American Airlines found me an earlier flight and were so kind and efficient. Just like United when I flew to Montreal and Lufthansa when I flew to Italy for vacation. NOT LIKE CONTINENTAL!!!  Check my Tweets and FB re THAT!

Anyway, all my meetings – both business and those more personal – were not only successful but truly enjoyable.  People were genuinely interested, interesting and oh, so nice! Also, still not totally a food town, I experienced such great meals (or was it the company?) at Wilton's (oh so British),  Momo's (oh so North African in London), and The Wolsley.

Some things truly stuck out this time in London: one was the amount of construction.  Locals told me that they are getting ready for the Olympics and doing a lot of repairs and infrastructure improvements. Another observation was the number of Middle Eastern women (in traditional garb and facial coverings) and men (less noticeable) both as visitors before Ramadan and those living in London.  Press friends and locals confirmed that the population has grown significantly spurring the election of David Cameron. They have Cycle Hire and it seems to be very popular – like in Paris.  Is New York ready for this? For design, the London Design Festival is the “next coming” as 100% Design declines.  Still a very local event, with few new introductions, many were looking for the festival to grow. 
Massive amounts of construction on the London roadways

Cycle Hire! Next stop...NYC!

Some personal highlights and er….low lights:  My hotel (a low light) – Park Lane.  Not really glorious anymore.  First night I had a smoke filled room – and the next day sounded like Harvey Fierstein most of the day.  Luckily, they changed me the next day and all was well. I had to keep my closet with mirror door open with the luggage rack.  I had to plug the hair dryer in near the bedroom chair as there were no plugs in the bathroom, except for shavers!
My bathroom door prop - less than glamorous.

My hairdryer...on the purple sofa...

But there were tons more pluses!  On my second day, I hailed a black taxi and met Robert!  He was friendly, informative and, well, became my driver for the entire day.  Never charged me waiting time (took short rides while I was in my appointments) and was totally engaging, professional and ready!  I was SOOOOOOOOO lucky.  Here’s his info for anyone going to or living in London.  He was terrific.  Robert:  Mobile:  07985272023
Just a little retail research.

Met with old friends, nurtured new ones and did some great business. Did some retail research (!) – Harrods, Conran’s, Harvey Nichols….and did a very quick but truly pleasurable time at the Tate Modern. All in all – I just want to thank everyone I came in contact with.  As a “jaded” New Yorker, I have to say it was “first class” all the way!

No comments: