Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life After Milan

My mom and me during her visit to New York


 My dad and me at the Cloisters

I have been very busy since my last post – a whirl wind trip to Milan for Salone del Mobile, finding our way back through the volcanic ash and gearing up for my half-marathon combined with a visit from my parents all the way from Georgia. My mom has not spent a significant amount of time in New York in about 25 years.  This was a true vacation for both my parents.  I was able to take them all over the island including their first visit to Kartell and Alessi.  I think my mom would like “1 of everything” from each store!  From SoHo, we ventured to the ultimate tourist destination – The Empire State Building.  Every New Yorker needs to go to the top.  It is such an incredible view!  The second day brought a visit to The Cloisters, part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, located near Fort Tryon park in Inwood.  This indoor/outdoor museum is a combination of art, artifacts, and huge pieces of medieval architecture.  This is an excellent place for a lovely view of the Hudson River and great place to bring a picnic and sit outside.  That same evening we had an incredible meal at Blue Ribbon for my mom’s birthday.  The weekend was filled with good food, visits to other New York landmarks, like the new Highline and Chelsea Market, and awesome hotels like the St. Regis and my favorite – ACE Hotel. 
 


 THE BIG RACE!


The weekend concluded with THE BIG RACE!  I was a little nervous because I had not reached the mileage goal I had intended, but I did it!  I ran the entire 13.1 miles in about 2:24.  This is my fastest time at that distance and I think a solid time for a beginner runner.  The one downer of the day was it poured rain for the entire run.  I found it a lot easier to run in those conditions when I knew I was running with 6,000 other women right next to me.  My nerves calmed when I realized that we are in it together.  It is an incredible sense of accomplishment when you have pushed both your body and your mind to the limit.  Running long distances like this is a true test of mind over matter.  After finishing this race in the rain, I can reaffirm that I can do anything I put my mind to.  Another special motivating factor, was having my husband and my parents there to cheer me on.  There is nothing like having mom and dad on the side lines to cheer you to the finish.  My mom actually ran one of the very first running races for women in Central Park in 1978.  Running in men’s running shorts and men’s running shoes, the “Mini-Marathon” was breakthrough for women’s running.
Going for the gold.

I am already looking for my next race.  Not quite ready for the full marathon, but another half or 10K will make me happy.  Thank you to the BDE team for cheering me on through my training.  It is so nice to be apart of such a supportive team.  Next time, we can run as TEAM BDE.  Lace up those running shoes!


--Emily Levin

No comments: