Thursday, March 18, 2010

Native New Yorker

Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, I always boasted about being a true New Yorker. Yankee Fan…check; New York accent…..check; Hanging on “The Stoop” or in “The Village” on the weekend with my friends…..check. It wasn’t until recently, that I realized that I am just really starting to understand what being a Native New Yorker is all about. Weekends in Central Park, exhibits at some of the most amazing museums imaginable, the NYC Skyline. The wonders of the city seen through the eyes of my 3-year old son, Jake – that’s what it took for me to realize what an amazing place New York City truly is.


Jake and I watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons.
Just hearing the excitement in his voice as he sees the city skyline to his right and New Jersey to his left as we approach the Holland Tunnel. As we get out of the tunnel he bids farewell to New Jersey and says hello to New York City. Looking at his eyes as we walk down the streets of the city – the buildings, the taxi cabs, the buses, the people – his mouth and eyes are always open with amazement and he seems at peace (which is not the norm for a 3-year boy as many of you know).

Jake in Central Park
I am thrilled to be able to share my past with my son as he grows up and I can’t wait to experience New York all over again with him as well. This time, I am going to do it right!
Jake visiting the Intrepid Museum.
Please share your favorite New York moment or New York place with me so I can add it to my long list of “must-sees”.
--Karen Brooking

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Take Jake to see "the dirt" at the NY Earth room:
http://www.diaart.org/sites/main/earthroom

Unknown said...

Karen - these are great photos and isn't is special to enjoy NYC with you little boy! You inspired me to bring my kids in more often!

Tamara Stout